Trip to Santiago by Jannes

The exchange program was really tough. The only day where we could spend time with our exchange family was Saturday. On this day, my family and I were going to Santiago, an important city in Spain and I was truly excited.
First we had to drive there and it took about an hour before we arrived. I had a funny conversation with my exchange family and they asked me a lot of questions about my life in Germany. We also passed by a lot of other small towns, who were really pretty and kind of adorable. But Santiago was way bigger than those towns, it was probably even bigger than Vigo.                                                            We arrived at Vigo and first my exchange family wanted to show me the cathedral of Santiago. On the way, we walked past some souvenir shops, where I bought myself a magnet with the cathedral of Santiago on top of it. Then we entered the cathedral and it was astonishing! It was really beautiful especially the gold shrine, that was made out of real gold. We also were able to go in the basement of the cathedral, the place where all corpses of the former kings of Spain were in special coffins. Some were protected by multiple glass walls and there were even some guards, who probably pretended some trouble.
Afterwards, we all sat down in a restaurant where I tried octopus for the first time. I didn’t really like the consistency and the taste of the food, unlike my family, who were pretty obsessed with the octopus. They even eat it every Wednesday because they enjoy it so much. Octopus is also a typical food for Galicia, so they wanted to show it to me.
Then we met with another pair of exchange students and we visited the shops that were located downtown. We had a lot of fun and even ate some ice cream, even though it wasn’t very delicious. At the end of the day, we went to another souvenir shop to get so called “Friendship bracelets”, so that we could all takeaway a memory from the exchange with us. All in all, we had a wonderful last day that we spend very well with our exchange student, so I am very thankful that my host family showed me this really cool place and even got me a present at the end of the day J  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend activities

A sunny day in Hamburg Downtown :-D

German chocolate and candy tasting.